Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo


I have had a few fleeting moments of spare time recently....(well, spare time that I wanted to devote to this blog) and I have become interested in doing a blog post for the band Oingo Boingo.

You remember Oingo Boingo right... The band Danny Elfman led before becoming a composer of countless movie scores.

Quirky, a bit spastic, and very talented. Oingo Boingo started in the early 1970's right after Elfman spent some time wandering around Africa, seemingly, with a violin and not much else. Upon his return he joined his older brother's...for lack of a more fitting word, "group": The Mystic Nights of the Oingo Boingo. After a few years working up to an appearance on the Gong Show...which the internets have saved forever...this is pretty hilarious stuff.



A few movie soundtracks included Oingo Boingo (Back to School, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, and of course Weird Science) and they achieved a modicum of success in the 1980's.

As I was trying to figure out which Oingo Boingo songs to include here I found a series of blog posts that go beyond anything I could ever hope to present about the band. I feel like a normal kid playing with lincoln logs in his backyard only to find out that Phineas and Ferb have moved in next door.

The following link will take you to part one of a three part blog post by a man who goes by the blogger name "saltyka"
and I really can't describe how thorough and complete this blog is...

http://saltyka.blogspot.com/2010/04/oingo-boingo-part-1-mystic-knights-of.html

If you are interested in anything this band has ever recorded or has ever said to another person, go there now and read and download to your heart's content.

If you don't know Elfman's music from films or don't know Oingo Boingo I think this song blends the two together perfectly even though it came out a half decade or so before he started writing full time for motion pictures.Nasty Habits

Here is a selection from a movie soundtrack (from the end credits of "Fast Times At Ridgemont High"
Goodbye, Goodbye

I was in Chicago last year and went into a Dunkin Donuts and their in-house radio station was playing the Oingo Boingo song "Private Life", probably my favorite song by them... and NOT one that I have ever heard on the radio before. If i wasn't so lucky to have a beautiful and loving family, I'm sure this song might be on the mix tape to my miserable life.
Private Life

No comments: