Saturday, January 1, 2011

Back From The Grave

Happy New Year!!!

I left this blog alone almost completely in 2010. but have decided to resurrect it in 2011, and want to do that with a really terrific song...

I have literally been exposed to thousands of new songs and scores of new bands with the explosion of music blogs and filesharing that exists today. A genre that has become a favorite of mine through this newfound exposure is Power Pop. I like all kinds of Power Pop, but the peak late 70's early 80's mixed Punk and New Wave into the formula and this era has quickly become a favorite of mine.

One of the best songs from that era is this one...

When We Were Young

by a band called Pumphouse Gang.

A fellow named James at a blog called Worthless Trash gave me my first introduction to them and keeps a dedication page to them at that link. They apparently have an unreleased record that James shared a few low quality samples of in the past.

I am sharing his file of "When We Were Young" with you here and it is a low quality MP3 but somehow that makes me like it even more. Something bittersweet and sentimental about this song always keeps me playing it... a great example of a time and place that gave rise to a really addictive sound! (more of which will follow)

No comments: