Sunday, January 2, 2011

Second post of the new year!


For Christmas this year I received a book entitled "We Never Learn: The Gunk Punk Undergut, 1988-2001" It is widely available and even though I am only 50 or so pages into it, I am enjoying it. It covers and era of Punk that I am most familiar with - the end.

Punk Rock has turned into a drop down menu item option for a question on an internet personality survey. Right after - "Which gaming system(s) do you own?" and "How many hours a week do you spend surfing the internet?" It's pretty meaningless anymore. But at least in the 80's and early 90's it meant that you had to put forth a little effort or risk to find new music or a new hang out place or even more so, to make new friends...

One very slight risk I took one day in the early 1990's was to take the advice of some kid selling records in the Euclid Tavern. I bought this 7" - "Stuck On You" by a band called Gorilla (notice there is no Z at the end of their name!)

I just know this band will get mentioned somewhere in the middle of "We Never Learn" as this song is a highlight of the era.


Their label had this to say about them:
"Hailing from the Lower East Side, Gorilla sprang forth form the rhythm and blues, swamp rock, garage scene of New York during the early 90's. Their placement of vox organ as a driving catalyst for there songs is what truly separates Gorilla from the rest of the pack"

The Vox organ is in there, driving the song along, but man is this song fun to sing along to! I wish I had time to transcribe the lyrics for you all...

Stuck On You

No comments: